Packing up your life and moving to a new place is a big decision. There’s a lot to think about. One of the most important things to consider is whether you’re doing a local or long-distance move.
There are some key differences between local vs long distance moving, and it’s important to understand those differences before you start planning your move. In this blog, we’ll break down the key differences between local and long-distance moving and give you some tips for planning and executing your move.
What is Local Moving?
Local moving or short distance moving is typically defined as a move that takes place within 50 miles of your current residence. Local moves are often less expensive and less complicated than long-distance moves. Local movers are also more familiar with the area, which can make the process easier and more efficient.
Key Characteristics of Local Moving
Local moves are typically less than 50 miles in distance. However, some local movers may offer services for moves up to 100 miles away.
Local moves are typically less expensive than long-distance moves. Local movers typically charge an hourly rate, which can vary depending on the size of the move, the number of movers required, and the distance being travelled.
Local movers may offer various services, including packing, loading, unloading, and unpacking. However, some local movers may only offer basic services like loading and unloading. Some local movers may also offer additional services, such as furniture disassembly and assembly, storage, and junk removal.
Local moves can typically be completed within a single day, but this may vary depending on the size of the move and the complexity of the services being provided.
What is Long-Distance Moving?
Long-distance moving is any move that travels more than 400 miles. It is also known as interstate moving or cross-country moving. Long-distance moves are different from local moves because they involve moving goods across state lines. This means that long-distance movers must have special authority to perform any part of a move from one state to another.
Key Characteristics of Long-Distance Moving
Long-distance moves are typically more than 400 miles in distance.
Long-distance moves are typically more expensive than local moves. Long-distance movers typically charge a flat rate, which is based on the weight of your belongings and the distance being travelled.
Long-distance movers may offer a variety of services, including packing, loading, unloading, and unpacking. However, some long-distance movers may only offer basic services, such as loading and unloading. Some long-distance movers may also offer additional services, such as furniture disassembly and assembly, storage, and junk removal.
Long-distance moves typically take longer to complete than local moves. The amount of time it takes to complete a long-distance move will vary depending on the distance being travelled and the complexity of the services being provided.
Local Vs Long-Distance Moving
Local and long-distance moving are two very different types of moves with their own unique challenges and rewards. If you’re considering a move, it’s important to understand the key differences between the two to make the best decision for your needs.
The most obvious difference between local and long-distance moving is the distance involved. Local moves are typically defined as moves within the same city or state, while long-distance moves are moves that cross state lines. The distance travelled can significantly impact the cost, timeline, and complexity of your move.
Local moves are typically less expensive than long-distance moves. This is because local movers don’t have to travel as far, and they’re more familiar with the area. They may also have lower overhead costs than long-distance movers.
However, the cost of your move will also depend on the size of your home, the number of items you’re moving, and the services you choose.
Local moves can typically be completed within a single day, while long-distance moves may take several days or even weeks to complete. This is because long-distance movers have to travel further, and they may have to deal with unexpected delays, such as bad weather or traffic.
Additionally, long-distance movers may have to schedule multiple stops along the way, which can add to the overall travel time.
Both local and long-distance movers offer a variety of services, including packing, loading, unloading, and unpacking. However, some local movers may only offer basic services, while long-distance movers typically offer a wider range of services, such as storage, furniture disassembly and assembly, and junk removal. Long-distance movers may also offer additional services, such as car shipping and pet relocation.
Local moves typically requires less planning than long-distance moves. This is because local moves are shorter and less complex. Long-distance moves require more planning to ensure that everything goes smoothly. This includes tasks such as booking a mover, coordinating travel arrangements, and transferring utilities.
Tips for a Local Move
Local moves are typically less complex and less expensive than long-distance moves, but they still require careful planning and execution. Here are some tips for making your local move a success:
- Start planning early: The earlier you start planning, the more time you’ll have to get organized and get the best deals on movers and other services.
- Purge your belongings: This is a great opportunity to get rid of the things you don’t use or need. The less stuff you have, the cheaper and easier your move will be.
- Pack carefully: Even though you’re moving a short distance, it’s still important to pack your belongings carefully to prevent them from getting damaged. Use sturdy boxes and packing materials, and wrap all of your fragile items carefully.
- Label your boxes clearly: This will help you to unpack your belongings quickly and easily when you arrive at your new home.
- Be prepared for delays: Even local moves can sometimes be delayed due to unforeseen circumstances, such as bad weather or traffic. Be prepared for delays and have a backup plan in case your move is delayed.
Tips for a Long-Distance Move
Long-distance moves can be more complex and expensive than local moves, but they can also be an exciting adventure. Here are some tips to help you make your long-distance move a success:
- Start planning early: Long-distance moves require more planning than local moves. You’ll need to book your mover well in advance, coordinate the packing and shipping of your belongings, and make arrangements for your travel and accommodations.
- Choose a reputable moving company: Get quotes from multiple movers and compare their services and prices. Be sure to read reviews of movers before you book them.
- Purchase moving insurance: Moving insurance can protect your belongings in case they are lost or damaged during the move.
- Plan your travel and accommodations: If you’re driving to your new home, be sure to map out your route and book hotels or campgrounds in advance. If you’re flying, book your flights well in advance and arrange for ground transportation to and from the airport.
- Transfer your utilities and services: Be sure to contact your utility companies and service providers to transfer your services to your new home.
- Update your address: Be sure to update your address with the post office, your bank, and any other important organizations.
Benefits of Hiring a Moving Company
Moving to a new home can be a daunting task, especially if you’re doing it yourself. There’s so much to think about, from packing to loading and unloading the moving truck.
Hiring a moving company can take much of the stress out of moving and make the process much smoother. Here are some benefits of hiring a moving company–
Save time and energy
Moving is a lot of work, and it can be physically and mentally draining. Hiring a moving company can free up your time and energy so that you can focus on other aspects of your move, such as packing and unpacking.
Moving can be a stressful experience, especially if you’re doing it yourself. Hiring a moving company can take a lot of the stress out of moving and make the process go much smoother.
Protect your belongings
Moving companies have the experience and equipment to pack and transport your belongings safely. This can help to reduce the risk of damage to your belongings.
Get the job done right
Moving companies have the experience and expertise to move your belongings quickly and efficiently. This can help you to save time and money in the long run.
Peace of mind
When you hire a moving company, you can rest assured that your belongings are in good hands. Moving companies are typically licensed and insured, so you can be confident that your belongings are protected in case of any damage or loss.
Tips for choosing a moving company
Choosing the right moving company is essential to a successful move. There are many factors to consider, such as the company’s experience, reputation, and services offered.
Here are some tips to help you choose the best moving company for your needs–
- Get quotes from multiple movers. This will help you to compare their services and prices and get the best deal.
- Read reviews of movers. This is a great way to learn about other people’s experiences with different moving companies.
- Check the company’s license and insurance. Make sure that the company is licensed and insured to operate in your state.
- Ask about the company’s experience. How long has the company been in business? Do they have experience moving people to your new area?
- Ask about the company’s services. What services does the company offer? Do they offer packing, unpacking, and storage?
- Get a written estimate. This will help to ensure that there are no surprises on a moving day.
Local vs long-distance moving, whatever it is, moving to a new home is a major life event, and it can be a daunting task. There’s so much to think about and do, from packing and loading your belongings to transporting and unloading them at your new home.
Hiring a moving company can be a great way to make the process easier and less stressful. Moving companies have the experience and expertise to handle all aspects of your move.
Whether you’re moving locally or long distance, Easy Way Removals can help. Contact us today!
What distance is considered a local move?
A local move is typically considered a move within a 50-mile radius of your current home.
How much should a local move cost?
The average cost of a local move in the USA is $1,250, but it can vary depending on the size of your move, the distance you’re moving, the time of year, and the services you choose.
How long should a local move take?
A local move should typically take between 2 and 7 hours, depending on the size of your move and the distance between your old and new homes.